Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Finding Out by Sheryn MacMunn

I picked up Finding out on Saturday afternoon thinking I would read a couple chapters to see what this novel was all about.  Many chapters later I forced myself to stop and take a break.  I was hooked!
Sheila Davenport came home from a stressful weekend of work and finds Joe, Her live-in boyfriend of seven years, standing on the sidewalk in front of their home waiting to break up with her.  Joe not only breaks up with her but has already moved out of their apartment taking only his personal pictures and bedroom set with.

While Sheila is trying to figure out her personal life, at work one of the “Big Bosses” hires a friend’s egotistical privileged daughter, Crystal.  Crystal is not an easy person to work with and Sheila, a five year employee, has been put in charge of training her and helping her adjust. 
Ruth, Sheila’s older widow neighbor, has been keeping Sheila company and distracting her with stories of her childhood visit to Germany during Hitlers rein.  The stories are told by a young Ruth as her and her siblings are hidden from the soldiers.  These stories help Sheila unravel the wreck that her life has turned into. 

I loved how this novel mixed history and life stories.  The novel moves so easily between the present time and Ruth’s Stories of her past.  I’m not sure which I enjoyed more, both were page turning, stay up late, I can’t put the novel down.

Everyone has people like Crystal in their work place.  It was fun watching Sheila learn to work with her.  By learning how to deal with her, I saw Sheila grow a stronger back bone and stand up for herself  and get more respect from the people around her.  It is something a lot of people need to learn how to do, but not always an easy thing to do. 

Finding Out is Sheryn MacMunns first novel.  June of 2014 cannot come soon enough for the realease of the next novel.  Everyone should read this novel.  My mom, sister, neighbors, and co-worker all are going to.
Reviewed by Charlotte


Sheryn MacMunn's Website
Sheryn MacMunn on Facebook
Sheryn MacMunn on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! Thanks for making me aware. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book I definitely want to read.Thanks for the review! Of course, my library doesn't have it yet...still waiting for my library to get The Mill River Recluse as well. I'll look for a "lender"

    ReplyDelete