Friday, December 27, 2013

The Theory of Opposites by Allison Winn Scotch

Willa Chandler-Golden's father changed the world with his self-help bestseller, Is It Really Your Choice? Why Your Entire Life May Be Out of Your Control. Millions of devoted fans now find solace in his notion that everything happens for a reason. Though Willa isn’t entirely convinced of her father’s theories, she readily admits that the universe has delivered her a solid life: a reliable husband, a fast-paced career. Sure there are hiccups – negative pregnancy tests, embattled siblings - but this is what the universe has brought, and life, if she doesn’t think about it too much, is wonderful.
Then her (evidently not-so-reliable) husband proposes this: A two-month break. Two months to see if they can't live their lives without each other. And before Willa can sort out destiny and fate and what it all means, she’s axed from her job, her 12 year-old nephew Nicky moves in, her ex-boyfriend finds her on Facebook, and her best friend Vanessa lands a gig writing for Dare You!, the hottest new reality TV show. And then Vanessa lures Willa into dares of her own - dares that run counter to her father’s theories of fate, dares that might change everything…but only if Willa is brave enough to stop listening to the universe and instead aim for the stars.

The Theory of Opposites has the feel of most books in it's same genre, but this one takes it one step more and made me stop and think about what do I think? Do I believe in fate, so it doesn't matter what I do and think the outcome is always going to be the same or do I control my own destiny. I won't bore you with my thoughts about fate, but I will tell you I enjoyed The Theory of Opposites by Allison Winn Scotch. The protectionist Willa is just such a likable character, she doesn't go out of her way to ruffle feathers (perfectly written middle child--seriously she reminded me of my younger sister!). She has this overly dominating dad who believes what he wrote and insists everyone should as if he is all-knowing. (He kinda drove me nuts). I was actually surprised by the husband and his desire for a two-month break. I was mad for Willa and was like go Vanessa for being such a good friend and pushing Willa to find her own voice.

I believe what I enjoyed most about this novel, is Scotch didn't reinvent a whole new Willa in two months. She moved her, grew her, but in a way that was very believable. Her whole personality and tendencies didn't just change 100%. So in the end I wasn't completely sure how she would handle everything...would she still see fate? Would she go with the flow?

I also really enjoyed the cast of supporting characters! I thought they added just enough to the story, I loved how life was still happening while Willa was working on daring herself. I'm going to have to stop here, because I want to keep blabbing about the book and I don't want to give any spoilers! I really enjoyed The Theory of Opposites and recommend it. I dare you to grab a copy!

Oh and PS Allison Winn Scotch has been discussing thoughts about the book (like a book club with the author, how cool!) on her facebook page! Make sure to check it out!



Follow Allison Winn Scotch
Buy your copy of The Theory of Opposites by Allison Winn Scotch

No comments:

Post a Comment