Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Accused by Lisa Scottoline


From Goodreads:

Mary Dinuzio has just been promoted to partner and is about to take on her most unusual case yet, brought to the firm by a thirteen-year-old genius with a penchant for beekeeping.  Allegra Gardner’s sister Fiona was murdered six years ago, and it seemed like an open-and-shut case: the accused, Lonnie Stall, was seen fleeing the scene; his blood was on Fiona and her blood was on him; most damningly, Lonnie Stall pleaded guilty.  But Allegra believes Lonnie is innocent and has been wrongly imprisoned. The Gardner family is one of the most powerful in the country and Allegra’s parents don’t believe in reopening the case, so taking it on is risky.  But the Rosato & Associates firm can never resist an underdog.  Was justice really served all those years ago?  It will take a team of unstoppable female lawyers, plus one thirteen-year-old genius, to find out. 

My Review:

Mary Dinuzio is a great character.   She starts off getting engaged and being unsure if “Yes” is the answer she should give, but yet she knows that is the answer that is expected.  Next Mary gets a new client, a teenage girl whose sister has been murdered six years ago, and never bats an eye at taking the case.   When pushed to drop the case she stands up for herself and stays on the case.   I loved how she went way beyond a normal lawyer and works hard to solve the case.  As I kept reading, I was fairly sure that I knew who the killers were.  Boy,  was I surprised at who the killers actually were.  Lisa Scottoline kept me on my toes and guessing the whole book.   

The character of Allegra has me worried many times during the story.   Was she just dwelling on the murder of her sister or did she truly know that Lonnie was innocent?   She seemed to be almost too smart.  She had this plan from an even younger age to find Fiona’s real killer and almost seemed obsessed with it.   Then when I was introduced to her parents, my first thought was wow, what loser parents.  They seemed to not pay her much attention, easier to send her away to boarding school and let the hired help raise her.  As I read I got a new outlook on her parents and maybe I was quick to judge. 

This is my first book that I have read in the Rosato & Associates Firm.  I can tell you that I will be going back and reading the other books in this series.   I felt that even though I did not know the characters history, I could easily relate and connect with each character.  

Purchase Accused by Lisa Scottoline

Follow Lisa Scottoline
Website   |   Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment