Monday, January 13, 2014

Sugar Spun Sister by Anna Garner


From Goodreads

Life isn’t exactly sweet for Cricket Whittier. Her boss hates her, her work is soul-destroying, and the sexy guy she’s hooking up with doesn’t want to date her. But this girl is far from hopeless. When Cricket’s in the kitchen with her ice cream maker and a few choice ingredients, her troubles slip away as she becomes a delectable dessert-designing powerhouse. She loves it so much, she dreams of opening her own ice cream shop one day.

As it turns out, “one day” just might be closer than she thinks. Propelled by the help and encouragement of her best friends, Lindsay and Nora, Cricket starts making plans to set up shop. Which is easier said than done what with the internal squabbling, the sky-high costs, her parents forecasting failure and her increasingly complicated love life. Despite all these hurdles, will Cricket be able to make her sweet dreams come true?

My Review:

I have read a few of Anna Garner’s works and loved them all, but this is my new favorite.   I cannot tell you anything that I did not like.   The characters, especially Cricket, were amazing.   Each one was real and down to earth, making them easy to relate to.    Cricket made me laugh the most, with her crazy (even she calls them that) family and her amazing skills at making ice cream she kept me smiling the whole book.   Lindsay and Nora are a girls best friends, for real.   They both build up Cricket’s dreams while still keeping them in check.  They become her partners in the ice cream shop, making it a reality in a shorter time, and prove how strong and true their friendships truly are.  

The romance part of this book had me shaking my head.   Her booty call friend Jimmy, or Jiminy (as in Jiminy Cricket), was a good enough guy.  I could tell where that relationship was heading or at least where I thought it should be heading.    Then there was Nora and her husband.   From the little that was shared about the husband, to me he seemed to live in the dark ages, all he wanted was a  wife to be the “happy homemaker” not have a career.    Lindsay and her gay non boyfriend were perfect.   They definitely were the perfect non couple. 

Anna wrote a book that I could not put down, nor did I want to.   I am happy to highly recommend this to all my friends and family.  I cannot wait until the second book in this series comes out.   The wait for more about Cricket, Lindsay, and Nora will be way too long for me. 

Purchase Sugar Spun Sister
Goodreads   |   Amazon


No comments:

Post a Comment