Friday, March 7, 2014

Hold Her Down by Kathryn Biel

Elizabeth Zurlo is lost. She's a wife, a mother, a teacher, a PTA volunteer - but somewhere along the way,
she's lost her sense of self.  Depression and despair can lead to desperate measures and when she is pulled back from the brink of suicide, Elizabeth slowly tries to rebuild her marriage and reclaim her life. Just when she's finally started to put herself back together, a scandalous novel rocks her small town...and costs Elizabeth her social standing, friendships and ultimately, her marriage. However, the man who seemingly destroyed Elizabeth's life, helps her realize who she is and what she needs to do to become the woman she's not only capable of being, but the woman she used to be.

My Review:

Elizabeth is a character I could immediately relate to.   The wanting to be the perfect mom and wife, letting her own needs and wants go.   Luckily, I have a husband who supports me and helps me not lose myself, at least not very often.   Elizabeth started as a very week and unsure character.  She stays this way through most of the story.  Watching her get torn down over and over again by her mother and her husband was so hard for me.  I wanted to yell wake up, grow a backbone, stand up for yourself, but this is all part of her story and what made her the woman she eventually becomes.  

The two men in her life are so opposite.   Her husband, Peter, tears her down and the other, Jack, tries to build her up.    Neither one understand what she really needs, luckily Elizabeth is figuring it out.  I really did not like either man.   Peter does not seem to have ever loved her, not her him, but married her for the ideal of what he wanted.   His control over his life and hers was so out of control.   Jack is good that he wants to build her up, but he does it in the wrong way causing more harm than help.  

Hold Her Down is a book that I will not forget.  Even now, finished with it, I am not able to stop thinking about it.   I hope that women read this and love it as much as I have.    I will happily recommend.

Purchase Links
Amazon   |   Barnes and Noble   |   Kobo   |   Smashwords   |   Goodreads





No comments:

Post a Comment