Saturday, April 5, 2014

Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well by Nancy Atherton

Review by Charlotte Lynn

Book #19 in the Aunt Dimity series
Publish April 17, 2014

From Goodreads:  

When a strapping young Australian named Jack MacBride arrives in Finch to wrap up his late uncle’s affairs, heads turn in the sleepy English village. But when Lori volunteers to help Jack clear out his uncle’s overgrown garden, they discover something even more shocking than a stranger turning up in Finch.

After Lori laughingly tosses a coin into the garden’s old well and makes a wish, she is baffled to find that the wish seems to have come true. Word spreads, and the villagers turn out in droves to make wishes of their own. But as they soon learn, one person’s wish is another person’s worst nightmare and the village is thrown into chaos.

As more and more wishes come true, Lori resolves to find out what’s really going on. Is handsome Jack somehow tricking his neighbors? Or are they fooling themselves? With Aunt Dimity’s otherworldly help, Lori discovers that the truth is even more marvelous than a magical wishing well.

My Review:

This is my first Aunt Dimity book, the first of what looks like many.    Throughout the book I could not help but wonder about the history of the many different characters that live in Finch.   I wanted to belong to this small quaint village and be part of the gossip and neighborhood.    This town was the perfect getaway for me every time I picked up Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well. 

Lori is the main character.   I loved her.   She seemed like the neighbor who would always go the extra mile to help someone out and she knew when to share secrets and when to keep them quiet.  The mystery of who the puppeteer was kept me interested.   I had ideas and I loved Lori and Aunt Dimity’s theories.   The fact that when she found out who was behind granting all the wishes she let that person tell the town instead of running and spilling the gossip made her a great friend and neighbor to all.    Watching her mull over the clues and search for hidden agendas kept me reading late into night and into the early morning.  

The town of Finch is amazing.  I loved how Nancy Atherton described the different houses, the stores, and the other scenery.  I could picture the town and loved every part of it.  Finch is a place I would love to visit and maybe even live.

I certainly will be checking out the rest of this series and will recommend them. 

Purchase Links
Goodreads   |   Amazon   |   Barnes and Noble  
Author Links 
Website   |   Facebook 

No comments:

Post a Comment