Monday, May 19, 2014

Love and Other Foreign Words by Erin McCahan

Published May 1st 2014 by Dial Books 

Josie is a sixteen year old genius.   She attends high school but is also a sophomore in college.   Stu her best friend and neighbor attends high school and college with her.  Stu and Kate are the only two people who really speak her language and understand her, quirks and all.  When her sister, Kate, tells her she is getting married she decides she doesn’t like Ggeoff, the fiancĂ©e, and is determined to break them up.   

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed reading this book.   Having teenage daughters myself, I could relate to the trials of being a teenage girl.  Josie being so incredibly smart could have made her hard to relate to; instead it made me sympathetic to her extra struggles, such as sensory overload.   Josie’s relationships with her sisters, Kate and Maggie, were great.  Especially Kate and Josie’s.    The understanding and love between them was so evident.   Even when they were fighting and hating each other, you knew that if anyone else was involved they would have had each other’s back immediately.

The ending was exactly what I hoped.  It was hinted at throughout the book and I was hoping it wasn’t just a tease.    I am very happy that Erin McCahan held out until the very end to let the reader see how Josie would handle the wedding and handle the word love. 

The pace never slows, the humor never stops.   Love and Other Foreign Words is a book that I truly enjoyed and will recommend.

Purchase Links
Amazon   |   B&N   |   Goodreads   |   IndieBound
Author Links
Website    |   Facebook   |   Twitter   |   Goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment