Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Before I Wake by C.L. Taylor

Publish Date of June 10, 2014 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To the outside world, Susan Jackson has it all-a loving family, successful husband, and beautiful home-but when Charlotte, her teenage daughter, steps in front of a bus and ends up in a coma, she is forced to question all of it.

Desperate to find out what caused Charlotte's suicide attempt, she discovers a horrifying entry in her diary: "keeping this secret is killing me." As Sue spins in desperate circles, she finds herself immersed in a dark world she didn't know existed-and the closer she comes to the truth, the more dangerous things become.

Can she wake up from the nightmares that haunt her and save her daughter, or will Charlotte's secret destroy them both?

My Thoughts:

Before I Wake is a book that I could not put down.  I started it in the afternoon, stayed up late; reading until my eyes would not stay open, then took it to work with me the next days in hopes of a few quiet moments that I could keep reading.  Now that I have finished it, it is still on my mind and I am not quite ready to let it go.

I related best with Charlotte’s mother, Susan.   She could tell that something had caused her daughter to end up in the coma other than the accident that everyone else believed.    Susan went against her own beliefs and her husband to find out the truth of what had caused Charlotte to step in front of that bus.  She knew her daughter better than anyone else and knew that she had to protect her and make her want to return to her family.  I absolutely love that she held her ground.

Many times I thought I had an idea what had happen to Charlotte, some of it I was close to, some of it I was so far off.  I felt like I was on a ride a lot of the time.  The thrills and twists and turns kept me so entertained, yet afraid to turn the page and learn the truth of the story.  I knew once the truth was shared that the story would be coming to an end and I am not ready for Charlotte’s story to close.  This would be a great book club read and I recommend it.

Buy Links


No comments:

Post a Comment