Thursday, May 30, 2013

Love with a Chance of Drowning by Torre DeRoche

Reviewed by Charlotte Lynn
Torre DeRoche leaves her family in Australia and travels to the US for one year.  She promised it would only be a year and she wouldn’t fall in love with an American.

But then she meets Ivan, not an American but an Argentinean young man, at a bar.  He plans to set sail on his boat with a goal of seeing many beautiful islands and lots of quiet time.  Torre must decide whether to join the man she loves or say goodbye and head back to Australia to her family.

Love with a Chance of Drowning is a memoir, a true story of Torre DeRoche’s life.  Most of the story takes place on Amazing Grace, Ivan’s boat.  There are many islands they visit.  The beautiful descriptions of these islands make you feel like you are seeing them also.  Torre also manages to describe her fears and feelings while on this great adventure using all her senses making the reader part of the story.

I found myself relating to Torre.  From her fear of the ocean, to the lists that she makes, I could relate to her.  When she started researching how to sail or how to store your ship and how to make it sea worthy again, she latched on to a lot of the “bad things” that could happen.  I felt her fear. I wanted her to back out and keep herself safe.  But after reading this novel I am so incredibly glad that she went.  She faced her fears and became a much stronger and ambitious person.  It changed her whole life, bother on the sea and on land.

This is a story of travel, love, and overcoming your fears.  I loved this book.  I laughed, but mostly I dreamt of being on the ocean and traveling as Torre and Ivan did.  I highly recommend this novel.

Purchase Love withe a Chance of Drowning by Torre DeRoche

Follow Torre DeRoche
LinkedIn   |   Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment