Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Last Summer at Chelsea Beach by Pam Jenoff

Summer 1941  


Young Adelia Monteforte flees fascist Italy for America, where she is whisked away to the shore by her well-meaning aunt and uncle. Here, she meets and falls for Charlie Connally, the eldest of the four Irish-Catholic boys next door. But all hopes for a future together are soon throttled by the war and a tragedy that hits much closer to home.

Grief-stricken, Addie flees—first to Washington and then to war-torn London—and finds a position at a prestigious newspaper, as well as a chance to redeem lost time, lost family…and lost love. But the past always nips at her heels, demanding to be reckoned with. And in a final, fateful choice, Addie discovers that the way home may be a path she never suspected.


My thoughts...well I loved it. Adelia "Addie" has come to America to live with her Aunt and Uncle. Her parents are still in Italy, but they send her over to protect her. Addie is taken to her Aunt and Uncle's beach house where she meets the Connally family. Four Irish Catholic boys. Over the years she becomes like a daughter/sister to the Connally family even with people looking at them because they are different. It makes no difference. Then Pearl Harbor. The eldest Connally boy, Charlie wants nothing more than to fight. Promises are made. The family is afraid of what war would mean especially with all the boys, but it is an unexpected accident that throws the future of the entire family into a tail spin. Addie runs. She runs to Washington and later to London not wanting to deal with her own grief.

Addie wasn't a character I really took too right off. She seemed always a bit of a misfit. As she slowly evolved into part of the Connally family, the more I took to her. When the unexpected accident occurs (sorry not going to ruin the book by telling you!) My heart breaks for Addie. Once again she is left alone--the little girl sent off on a boat without her parents. Addie doesn't sit around feeling sorry for herself, but takes off to Washington. When her past shows up, she takes off in order to protect her heart. She runs of to London and a possible new future. Ok I would LOVE to start giving some major story details, but I will refrain.

Basically, the story is a hit and miss love story. There is a war. There is devastation. Addie is trying desperately to help someone in a way she couldn't help someone she lost. All through the book I kept wondering if the two loves would find there way back to each other. Would she choose the new man who loves her and is desperate to help her? I got half way through this book and then couldn't put it down. What would happen? I sat reading thinking of course true love, young love wins...but then you see a love that is more devoted to her, more adult...is that enough? I won't tell you what happens, but I will tell you I was not prepared for how all things would end. It has a perfect and unexpected ending that I was personally thrilled with. A MUST READ!



Buy The Last Summer at Chelsea Beach by Pam Jenoff

Follow Pam Jenoff













As of December 1, 2009, According to The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), product reviewers on blogs must disclose whether they received products for free or received payment for their review. The books I review on this site (A NOVEL REVIEW) are sent to me by publishers, authors or downloaded from Netgalley. This is a very common practice. I never take payments for these reviews and all the reviews on this site are my own thoughts and feelings and are not influenced.

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading it. And now your wonderful review has me more anxious. :) Thanks for posting.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading it. And now your wonderful review has me more anxious. :) Thanks for posting.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that ending ... I'm intrigued! I'm glad you loved how it all turned out!

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete