Monday, February 27, 2012

The 5 W’s of Seré Prince Halverson

I’m very excited to announce, we have Seré Prince Halverson joining us here at A Novel Review! Seré is the debut author of The Underside of Joy. For more than 20 years she has worked as both a copywriter and a creative director, while she raised children and wrote fiction. As soon as I read the description of The Underside of Joy, I knew without a doubt I wanted to read it! So I am really excited to introduce to you,

The 5 W’s of Seré Prince Halverson


WHO? 
I’m a mom and stepmom whose nest recently emptied and whose debut novel, The Underside of Joy, was recently published. I love to walk and hike, especially in the woods. I adore word games but despise any game involving a ball being thrown at me. I had a crush on my husband, Stan, in 8th grade, went to the homecoming dance with him our senior year, and re-met him at our 20-year high school reunion -- after we’d both been divorced three years and each had two great kids. (This was back in the pre-facebook era, when we’d all lost touch with high school friends!)

WHAT? What do you enjoy doing other than writing in your spare time?
Reading, watching movies, hiking, hanging out with friends and family, traveling, acting as sous chef for my husband.

WHEN? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I wrote my first play, The Elf Who Stole the Girl, when I was seven. It starred my little sister, Suzanne, as The Girl and I played The Evil Elf. We performed in our basement for my aunts and uncles and received a standing ovation. I think that’s what first hooked me. I worked as a copywriter writing ads, brochures, websites, taglines, and articles. I worked on my fiction whenever I could, but it took me decades to have a novel published.

WHERE? Where do you write?
I used to write anywhere I could. In bed, with earplugs and the door closed, at the kitchen table or at a coffee house, in a borrowed cabin, and years ago, when I was really desperate, even at Chuck E. Cheese while my kids played.
But now I write from My Little Red Writing Hut. While I was traveling with my son for several weeks last summer, Stan and my in-laws surprised my by building a separate studio for me. I know. Lucky me.
They bought a 10X14 shed. Then they tricked it out with lots of big windows everywhere, tons of insulation, recessed lighting, bamboo flooring, and one wall covered with corkboard and wainscoting. It has a wrap-around porch and looks out over vineyards and redwoods.  I’d once mentioned that I liked red cabins, and when Stan asked me what shade of red, I’d pointed to some funky shoes I was wearing at the time. He snuck one of the shoes out of the closet and took it to the paint store to match the color. That’s my husband. And that’s my version of the Cinderella story.

WHY? Why do you write?
As dramatic as this sounds, I write because I must. Fortunately, I also love to write—most of the time.

Thank-you, so much Seré for joining us at A Novel Review and letting us get to you a little better! I love your Cinderella story! That is so sweet! Wishing you much sucess with The Underside of Joy!

Make sure to get to know Seré better by visiting her:


and make sure to come back to A Novel Review on Wednesday for my review of The Underside of Joy!

1 comment:

  1. HI,
    I am happy to be your newest lf follower. I found your cute blog from the linky followers blog hop. If you'd like to follow back, you can reach me at http://www.measuredbytheheart.com
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete