Wednesday, September 25, 2013

THE STORYCATCHER by Ann Hite

(Back cover): Shelly Parker, a sixteen-year-old servant who works for the tyrannical Pastor Dobbins and his family, has had the gift of sight for as long as she can remember. She's grown accustomed to coexisting with the spirits of the dead who roam Black Mountain, telling Shelly their stories and warning her of the dangers that surround her. When the ghost of Arleen Brown, a poor woman who died on the mountain during childbirth five years earlier, begins to pursue Pastor's daughter Faith--hell-bent on revealing a terrible secret that she took to her grave--Shelly is the only person who can help her. The two young women soon find themselves tangled up in a web of secrets and lies that takes them from Black Mountain to the murky saltwater marshes of Georgia, uncovering long-hidden truths that put their own lives in danger...

Critically acclaimed, award-winning author Ann Hite beckons readers back to the Depression-era South, from the saltwater marshes of Georgia’s coast to the whispering winds of North Carolina’s mystical Black Mountain, in a mesmerizing gothic tale about the dark family secrets that come back to haunt us.

In 2011, I read GHOST ON BLACK MOUNTAIN Ann Hite's first novel. I absolutely loved it and couldn't wait for her next novel to come out. After finishing, THE STORYCATCHER I wasn't prepared for how amazing she is as a storyteller. The novel is even more amazing than her first book. 

The novel is a complex story with multiple points of view, a few different time periods, and two locations. Near the beginning of the novel it felt like a lot of information, but soon enough I had everything straight. There are a few different things going on and I felt like I had most things figured out, but I knew I was missing something.The pieces all come together with huge surprises, but it all makes sense at the end. The story grows layer by layer, the more you know the more there is to learn.

Ann Hite is a truly talented writer and storyteller. Ann's writing IS Southern Gothic at it's best. I literally opened the book and she transported me to a different time and place. I found myself snuggled up reading late into the night. If you are ready for an eerie mystery that will keep you up late into the night then this is the book for you! I highly recommend and I can't wait to see what she writes next. I am a huge fan!

Follow Ann Hite

Buy a copy of THE STORYCATCHER by Ann Hite

4 comments:

  1. Hello Laura! Where have I been? I've missed the unveiling of your beautiful new website--I love it, dear! I too loved THE STORYCATCHER and Ann Hite is such a special lady as well as a talented one. A wonderful review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank-you! I'm still undecided if I like the new site, lol. I was thrilled to review Ann's newest book because she is so very gifted!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to see you liked this one so much. I just downloaded the audiobook from the library yesterday. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear what you think of the audiobook!

      Delete