Monday, November 4, 2013

Cross and Burn by Val McDermid

From Goodreads

Guilt and grief have driven a wedge between long time crime-fighting partners psychologist Tony Hill and ex-DCI Carol Jordan. But just because they're not talking doesn't mean the killing stops.

Someone is killing women. Women who bear an unsettling resemblance to Carol Jordan. And when the evidence begins to point in a disturbing direction, thinking the unthinkable seems the only possible answer. Cornered by events, Tony and Carol are forced to fight for themselves and each other as never before.

My Review:

This is my first Val McDermid book.   This was also the 8th book in this series(Tony/Carol) and I was able to pick it up and not even realize I missed the first 7, but I will be going back and checking out the first ones.  Although the story seemed to revolve around the Tony/Carol storyline, it really was the story of Paula.    Paula struggles to find her way after DCI Carol Jordan retires therefore pushing her to take a job in a new department.  It also is the story of Tony’s life without Carol and Carol’s life without Tony. 

The case that Paula is working on enthralled me.  I could not put this book down and when I was forced to I kept thinking about it.  As the story comes together I could not help but think how seamlessly it all works out.   The hiccups and twists make the story so entertaining.  Making the reader wonder continuously who the killer could be, will Carol and Tony come back together, and can Paula make this new job work for her? 

I have to recommend this to my fellow mystery readers.   As a matter of fact I recommend that you join me in going back and reading the first books in this series if you have not already done so.

Purchase Cross and Burn by Val McDermid
Goodreads   |   Barnes and Noble   |   Amazon   

Follow Val McDermd
Website   |   Amazon   |   Barnes and Noble   |   Goodreads  | Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment