Friday, June 6, 2014

THE FIVE W’S and HOW Of L. Alison Heller


WHO? Who are you besides a writer? 

A mom! Also, a wife, a lawyer and, to be honest, a bit of a worrier.

WHAT? What do you enjoy doing other than writing in your spare time?

Hanging out with my family, having marathon gab sessions with friends, and last but not least, gobbling all the stories I can from both page and screen. (I find the whole advancement in instant book purchasing and video/streaming TV seasons wonderful, but it’s also terrifying for someone weak-willed like me.)

Oh, and I am a class-A eater. I mean, I’m not about to win the Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest or anything, but eating brings me some serious joy.

WHEN? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Books were a huge part of my childhood, and for as long as I can remember, I’ve respected writers for their ability to engage and/or move me with words. Even years ago, as a not-so-serious student, I seriously valued writing, and remember thinking it one of the most important skills a person could try to develop. If I’m honest, writing fiction has always been a dream, even though for years, it was the tiniest wisp of a dream.

WHERE? Where do you write? 

Forgive me if I “Dr. Seuss” this a little! (On a train, in the rain, in a boat although never with a goat.) I write in coffee shops, at my tiny little sliver of a desk in my apartment, at my kitchen table when my kids are in school, and when it’s warm, on the roof of my building. I’ve broken into friends’ apartments (with permission) when they’re gone for the day. In sum: anywhere I can.

WHY? Why do you write?
Sometimes it’s torture, and sometimes it’s sublime, but stopping would just feel wrong. Although I certainly don’t love every writing session, I love how the act of committing to a story feels bigger than me. As counterintuitive as it sounds, writing and crafting a novel takes me out of myself in a satisfying way.

How? Has your writing success changed your life?
I’ve met some wonderful people (bonding through our mutual love of reading and/or writing) and it’s also kept me honest. Finishing a book always means refining my priorities and getting more organized. All in all, it’s been amazing.

L. Alison is a divorce lawyer and the author of THE NEVER NEVER SISTERS and THE LOVE WARS (both The Penguin Group). She lives in Brooklyn with her family. Please visit her website at www.lalisonheller.com or come say hi on Facebook! Really—she’d love to chat.


An absorbing, highly entertaining novel about family secrets, The Never Never Sisters introduces you to the strong-willed and big-hearted Reinhardt women, as they reunite one summer in New York. Gifted storyteller L. Alison Heller has written another witty and moving page-turner that will captivate readers and keep them guessing right up until the satisfying end.

Sometimes you just need to get away….

Marriage counselor Paige Reinhardt is counting down the days to summer, eager to reconnect with her workaholic husband at their cozy rental cottage in the Hamptons. But soon a mysterious crisis at Dave’s work ruins their getaway plans. Paige is still figuring out how to handle the unexplained chill in her marriage when her troubled sister suddenly returns after a two-decade silence. Now, instead of enjoying the lazy summer days along the ocean, Paige is navigating the rocky waters of a forgotten bond with her sister in the sweltering city heat.

As she attempts to dig deeper into Dave’s work troubles and some long-held family secrets, Paige is shocked to discover how little she knows about the people closest to her. This summer, the self-proclaimed relationship expert will grapple with her biggest challenge yet: Is it worth risking your most precious relationships in order to find yourself?

Buy a copy of The Never Never Sisters

No comments:

Post a Comment