Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Glass Kitchen by Linda Francis Lee

With the glass kitchen, Linda Francis Lee has served up a novel that is about the courage it takes to follow your heart and be yourself. A true recipe for life. 


Portia Cuthcart never intended to leave Texas. Her dream was to run the Glass Kitchen restaurant her grandmother built decades ago. But after a string of betrayals and the loss of her legacy, Portia is determined to start a new life with her sisters in Manhattan . . . and never cook again. But when she moves into a dilapidated brownstone on the Upper West Side, she meets twelve-year-old Ariel and her widowed father Gabriel, a man with his hands full trying to raise two daughters on his own. Soon, a promise made to her sisters forces Portia back into a world of magical food and swirling emotions, where she must confront everything she has been running from. What seems so simple on the surface is anything but when long-held secrets are revealed, rivalries exposed, and the promise of new love stirs to life like chocolate mixing with cream. The Glass Kitchen is a delicious novel, a tempestuous story of a woman washed up on the shores of Manhattan who discovers that a kitchen—like an island—can be a refuge, if only she has the courage to give in to the pull of love, the power of forgiveness, and accept the complications of what it means to be family.

My Thoughts...I absolutely loved THE GLASS KITCHEN by Linda Francis Lee! It is such an imperfect story. Portia finds herself with her sisters in Manhattan, she is trying to put the pieces of her life back together. The last thing she wants to do is cook, because for her cooking and food have a tinge of magic. The thing is, the magic is in her and it needs and wants to come out. I loved how the art of cooking revealed things that needed to come out in order for people to move and grow. Isn't cooking something powerful in our own homes?

I really expected the sister part of the story to really take front and center, but it was more supporting. I was pleased because it made the story more authentic. Sisters are our supporting cast in real life. I loved the conflict and worry between Ariel and her sister, Miranda. Having a sister I could relate to all aspects of the sisters!

I loved Portia. I connected to her right away. When she meets Gabriel I knew I wanted them together, the more I got to know him the more that man confounded me! The more the story unfolded, oh my goodness! I loved him. Oh and a few 'hot' scenes, like Portia's cooking Lee wrote them to be tasteful! Then we start to learn more about him...I won't say more you will have to read if what I found out changed what I thought of him!

This is an absolute perfect read! I really just didn't want to put THE GLASS KITCHEN down. It was just wonderful! It was just everything a good book should be! I actually loved it so much that I bought a copy of Linda Francis Lee's previous book--it's really that good! Funny, heartfelt, magical a book you shouldn't miss. Highly highly recommending you grab a copy!


Follow Linda Francis Lee 

Buy your copy of The Glass Kitchen by Linda Francis Lee 

No comments:

Post a Comment