Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Queen of Hearts by Colleen Oakes

The Princess of Wonderland, Dinah, is just about ready for her coronation.  She is ready to stand besides her father, The King of Hearts, and rule Wonderland.    The closer to her coronation, the more she notices suspicious activities suggestions something is wrong in Wonderland.   With the help of her best friend, Wardley, Dinah begins to unravel the mysteries and hopes to save her own head. 

This is a twisted fairy tale with familiar characters portrayed in a different way.   Queen of Hearts is the dark take on Alice in Wonderland. 

My Review:

I have found that I love reading twists on children’s fairytales.   This is the third that I have read and I could not put it down.    The fact that this is a dark and fearful tale made it all that more appealing to me.  Queen of Hearts had it all, betrayal, humor, a tad of romance, and a lot of corruption.  There was so much to this story that I found myself telling my husband and kids to hold on, I need to finish this chapter, this page, this book. 

Dinah was a feisty princess.  She spoke her mind, didn’t mind telling anyone around her what she felt whenever she felt it.  She was strong, not letting anyone tell her what to do.  She was a good future queen, in that she understood that she had to do something just because she was the future queen whether she wanted to or not.   Dinah understood the politic of becoming Queen and ruling and was not afraid to make her own plays to get what she wanted when she wanted it. 

I loved this whole book, the journey from beginning to end was totally enthralling.   The cliffhanger at the end of this book left me needing, not just wanting, more.  I cannot wait for the next book in this series to be released by Colleen Oakes.  

About Colleen Oakes:
Colleen Oakes is the author of the Elly in Bloom series and the upcoming YA fantasy Queen of Hearts Saga, both published via SparkPress, a BookSparks imprint. She lives in North Denver with her husband and son. When not writing, Colleen enjoys swimming, traveling, and immersing herself in nerdy pop culture. She is currently at work on the last Elly novel and her second YA fantasy series, Wendy Darling.

Learn more about Colleen Oakes 
Website   |   Twitter   |   Facebook   |   Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment