Thursday, June 28, 2012

THE 5 W'S OF Wendy Wax

Wendy Wax is the author of eight novels. Her books have been highly praised and featured in national publications such as USA Today and Woman’s World. We are so excited to share with you
The 5 W's of Wendy Wax
WHO? 
That feels like a question one could spend years in therapy trying to answer, but I’ll do my best!  I’m originally from St. Pete, Florida, so even though I’ve lived in Atlanta for many years now, I still love to send my characters to the beach when I can, but maybe you could’ve guessed that from the title of my latest novel…OCEAN BEACH!.  (Of course I have to go to the beach often for research… no really, it’s my job… I have no choice.)

I’m also the mother of two college-aged sons (how did that happen?) and so for years I’ve been the only woman in a house of men.  Maybe that’s why I write stories about women.  After all, I think I’ve had enough testosterone to last a lifetime!

As a writer, I think I take equal parts “life experience”, “what-if scenarios” and “women who keep moving forward in the face of adversity” and mix them together to create stories that real women can relate to.  I write for and about women that I’d like to have a glass of wine with…  women who are not perfect, but are maybe just a little stronger than they even realize!

WHAT? What do you enjoy doing other than writing in your spare time?
I’m not sure I know what “spare time” is!  Like most women I know, I am a wife and mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend and of course a consummate multi-tasker.  When I’m not writing, I’m managing my kids, my husband and my home, all while trying to stay away from the refrigerator, get myself to Zumba class, catch my sons’ baseball games, make time for a glass of wine with my girlfriends, do the grocery shopping, hit the one day sale at the mall and read a good book here and there.  When I do get a spare minute or three… I love a walk on the beach (not easy to achieve in Atlanta), going to the movies with my husband or girlfriends, trying a new restaurant and er… even redecorating the occasional room…(but don’t tell my husband I said that! Sometimes he doesn’t even notice!)

WHEN? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
I think I always dreamed of being a writer.  I’ve been a voracious reader since childhood and  books have always been a big and very influential part of my life.  For example, I read GONE WITH THE WIND one too many times and then decided to go to college in Georgia because of it.  I was a journalism major and wrote for radio, television and corporate projects, but It wasn’t until after I was married and raising my two very young sons that I actually decided to try fiction—a decision I chalk up to post pregnancy hormones and lack of sleep! (I had no idea how difficult a path I had chosen.) Actually, when I think back on it now, it’s kind of amazing that I waited that long!

WHERE? Where do you write? 
I have an office right in my house where I go every day to write.  The idea was that I’d set up this beautiful space, surround myself with my things, enjoy the view of the garden right outside the window and all of the outside pressures like the needs of my family, the load of laundry that needed to be folded, and the oh-so-tempting refrigerator would all be blocked out so I could focus on my writing.  It doesn’t work exactly like that… but it’s a nice theory!

WHY? Why do you write?
That would be a little bit like asking why I breathe!  Most writers write because they just can’t help it.  Though I love seeing my work in print and I love meeting readers and fans, the job is not nearly as glamorous as it seems.  (If you want to know what it’s really like in the world of publishing check out my book THE ACCIDENTAL BESTSELLER and you’ll get an idea!)  So… why do I write?  I write because that’s how I express myself and because I can’t imagine not writing.  I’m so fortunate that readers keeping picking up my books and I get to keep doing this… so thanks from the bottom of my heart to all of you!


Thank you so much for joining us here at A Novel Review! I have to admit I love how you need to go to the beach for 'research'! Maybe if I changed by blog to Beach Bum Reviewer I could convince my husband I need to read my books at the beach (thus need to move to the beach) :) I'm going to work on this! 

Wendy's Website
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment