Thursday, July 5, 2012

THE FIVE W’S Of Rose McClelland

Rose McClelland's new book HOW TO LOOK LIKE YOU out July 5th and Rose has joined us here at A Novel Review and share with us:
The Five W's of Rose McClelland

WHO? 
I am a woman in my thirties. I live in Belfast in a very tall apartment building which looks out over the river. I studied English and drama at University but probably spent most of that time in the students’ union bar. I did however love writing for the student newspaper and found that writing theatre reviews was a nifty way of getting free tickets.

After Uni, I lived in London for 6 years.  I started off working for a ‘theatre in the round’ as Office Manager. I then bagged a job as a PA for a west end dance company. I remember the joy of getting my own office which even had my own water cooler! I had arrived! It sounds awfully glamorous doesn’t it? Apart from one red carpet glittering affair (where I spied Jude Law!) it really was just the same as working in any office.

I read and write chick-lit/ contemporary women’s fiction.  I love happy, feel-good books that take me out of myself and make me feel so engrossed that I forget I have to get ready for work!

WHAT? What do you enjoy doing other than writing in your spare time?
I read a lot. I love a good chick-lit novel and if I get into a novel in the first chapter, then I’m engrossed until the end.  I also love putting the feet up and watching a good film.  Chick flicks are my favorite, though I do love a good weepy emotional movie too. I spend way too much time on Facebook and Twitter and I think I have a serious addiction to it.  It doesn’t help that I am a member of tons of groups – The Bookshop Café, The Writers’ Circle, Crooked Cat Readers & Authors Group.  What happens in these is that people chat about their book/movie recommendations so then I’m off on Amazon and Goodreads ordering samples! It’s dangerous!

Other things in my spare time – I love having my mates around for a good girlie catch up.  I love the cinema and theatre. And I wouldn’t say I love but I make myself do exercise. How else can a girl enjoy a good dollop of ice-cream now and again?

WHEN? When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
At ten years old, believe it or not! I announced to my mum that that was what I wanted to do.  Of course, it all felt like a pipe dream. In my teens, I then told people I wanted to be a journalist.  But considering I failed my journalism module drastically at Uni, that was a no-go.  After Uni, I took a creative writing course in London. Then another one in Brighton. Finally, after years of talking about wanting to write a novel, starting a novel, stopping, letting the novel hide in a bottom drawer, I finally sat down, started one, and kept going until I wrote ‘the end’.

WHERE? Where do you write? 
In my apartment which looks over the water! For years I sat in coffee shops, cramming earphones in my ears to drown out the sound of crying babies, overhead TV and people’s chatter. I was even fortunate enough to find a nice café which looked out over a water fountain and was relatively quiet.  Now though, I sit and look out over the water and write to my heart’s content.

WHY? Why do you write?
There is something about writing that really relaxes me.  If I’m not writing (for extended periods of time), I feel crotchety and a bit disjointed.  Writing puts a bit of order to my life. It makes me feel like I’m making sense of things. The actual act of writing a story and thinking about other characters helps me to take me out of myself. Suddenly I’m not thinking about me all the time; I’m pouring my thoughts and energies elsewhere.  I am also expressing myself.  I can let my character have a good vent about something, where I might not have the courage to do it in real life!

Thank you for asking me the five W’s!


Thank-you so much for joining us here at A Novel Review! I'm so jealous of your spotting of Jude Law! He's beautiful!!! 

Make sure to read Charlotte's review of How To Look Like You!

No comments:

Post a Comment