Monday, April 8, 2013

The Last Telegram by Liz Trenow

Review by Charlotte Lynn

Lily Vernow lived through World War II and this is her story.  Her family owned a silk weaving factory where during the war they wove parachute silk.

Lily’s brother, John, takes in three Jewish boy refuges from Germany and they start working at the factory.  One of these boys, Stefan, catches Lily’s heart and their love grows.  But even in their safe little town being a Jew from Germany could be a problem.

I am not sure I can describe how much I enjoyed this book.  The Last Telegram was perfectly written,  telling a beautiful story of love, family, loss, and guilt during World War II.  Liz Trenow did an amazing job teaching me about silk.  Every chapter gave facts about where silk came from and how it was used in the 1940’s, but yet the story was not about silk.

I loved Lily.  From her journey into silk as a young girl, to an old lady who had survived it all she was my favorite character.  The relationship between Stefan and Lily showed exactly how much they were meant for each other.  The chapters with their story in them were my absolute favorite. 

The Last Telegram is perfect.  I was captured by the first page.  This is a story I am sure I will read over and over.  

Purchase The Last Telegram by Liz Trenow

Follow Liz Trenow

The books we review on this site (A NOVEL REVIEW) are sent to us by publishers, authors or downloaded from Netgalley. This is a very common practice.  We never take payments for these reviews and all the reviews on this site are our own thoughts and feelings and are not influenced.


4 comments:

  1. I really love a good story that teaches me stuff along with the romance and the stuff the characters learn! Sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Charlotte, what a great review. Thank you so much! Liz Trenow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be starting this one very soon, so I'm glad to see you were hooked from the first page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished this and I second all your comments, a wonderful story that I hope to read again. It was beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete