Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Saffron September by Aliya Anjum



Saffron September is a story of an adult Muslim woman living the in the United States on her own.  Zara tells her experience of trying to date both in the United States and her home of Pakistan.  The story shows how it is hard to meet appropriate men when her family is not around and with the pressures of the United States society.

After many heartbreaks, Zara meets Ali.  After a rough start, their romance moves forward.  The connection and understand between Ali and Zara is amazing.  Zara may get her dream of a husband, home, and family.

I was enthralled with Saffron September.  Some of the religious aspects told in the book I was not able to understand, but I was still able to follow the story and feel  that I did not miss anything.  I think maybe a little less religion would have been nice, I found myself skipping some of the pages that were all about religion.

Looking into the Muslim world through Zara and Ali was so thought provoking.  I learned so much about a culture and religion I was pretty clueless to.  I think that was the best part of the book.  I was able to see past what is told in the newspapers and on television, to better understand the Muslim world.
Saffron September is not a fluffy beach read.  If you are looking for a book you can truly since your teeth into this is the book for you.
Reviewed by Charlotte

Aliya Anjum on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment