Friday, January 18, 2013

The Song Remains the Same by Allison Winn Scotch

Reviewed by Laura Kay


Nell Slattery wakes up in a hospital room with strangers all around her, she doesn't know anyone in the room --she doesn't remember who she is!

Nell is one of only two people who survived a terrible plane crash. Even though she remembers nothing of the accident or anything before, she feels there must be a reason why she survived. Nell looks to her family for answers, but as they tell her information about her life...things don't sit well with her. It's as if she knows instinctively what is and is not true.

After seeing a photo of herself on People, Nell is determined to be a new more fabulous Nell Slattery! Nell fills up on pop culture over the years from music to TV and movies (thanks to her sister for putting together a playlist) and heads back home to New York. But hey her life and apartment are not reminiscent of Friends! Where is her cool apartment and the awesome coffee shop to hang out in?

Nell begins uncovering more and more untruths she has been fed by her family. She begins to question everything around her, and realizing she isn't becoming a new fabulous self. Her true personality comes through as she begins a quest in finding out just who is, Nell Slattery.

I'll be honest and say the beginning of the novel was so so for me, but the storyline had me interested. I never really connected with Nell. And her family? Ugh. But I was interested in what she would learn. Nell kind of went off on a hunt to find out more about her father and less about herself. I was like what the heck is she doing the her therapist called her out on it and I was like oh good it wasn't just me. 

The story really hit its stride after that. I began to appreciate who Nell is and why she is the way she is. It was an adventure in really finding out who she was by what she had been through...what made her who she is.

Definitely one of those books I wasn't really ready to say goodbye to and wanting me to makes me want to read more by Allison Winn Scotch. Quick mention: Best inner dialog I've read in a book in awhile...just seemed genuine to me!

I am recommending THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME!


Follow Allison Winn Scotch

Buy a copy of The Song Remains the Same by Allison Winn Scotch

The books we review on this site (A NOVEL REVIEW) are sent to us by publishers, authors or downloaded from Netgalley. This is a very common practice.  We never take payments for these reviews and all the reviews on this site are our own thoughts and feelings and are not influenced.

No comments:

Post a Comment